Why You Should Never Clean Mould With Bleach

Why You Should Never Clean Mould With Bleach

Chlorine bleach is often regarded as the “go-to” cleaner for challenging work in many houses. Mould eradication does necessitate the use of a heavy-duty cleaner, but many of the risks of bleach have lately gained media attention, prompting people to reconsider how they clean.

Clean Mould With Bleach

Mould is a species of fungus that is neither plant nor animal. This essentially implies that, unlike plants, it cannot generate energy from the sun or actively “search” for food in the same way that animals do. Mould must thus be opportunistic in order to thrive. To reproduce, it periodically releases tiny spores into the air in quest of a suitable habitat to dwell in. It simply needs a few things to live: water, warm temperatures, and a food supply. Once it has found the ideal habitat, it may begin to develop incredibly quickly, sometimes within 24 hours! This is why we frequently see mould blooms after flooding, water damage, and undiscovered busted pipes, among other things…

So, now that we know how it works, how should we treat it? Big bleach labels have assured you that nothing else will do the job. Although chlorine bleach is well-known for its disinfectant capabilities, it is not the ideal solution for mould. Chlorine bleach’s primary function is to disinfect and, well, bleach or change the colour. But what normally occurs following use? The mouldy colour appears to be gone, but it frequently returns after a week or two, and sometimes worse! Most homeowners do not realise that the response is caused by bleach rather than a severe case of mould. The truth is that if the mould is not eliminated from the material, it will very certainly reappear.

Is bleach effective against mould?

Yes, but there is a catch. Chlorine bleach is only effective on a “hard, non-porous surface,” according to the label. This implies that chlorine bleach is not designed to “soak in.” As a result, its disinfecting effects are confined to hard surfaces such as tile or glass. So here’s the issue: Mould spores extend their roots (Mycelia) deep into a permeable surface to ensure life. Mould removal necessitates a cleaner reaching deep into wood and other porous building materials to remove or “take out” the roots. Bleach’s characteristics prevent it from seeping into these materials. The top mould appears to be gone (it has been bleached white), but the interior mould continues to develop.

Mould and bleach Here are a few facts to keep in mind:

  • In rare circumstances, bleach will induce harmful mould growth where it did not previously exist.
  • Only bleach can remove the mould’s green tint. Although the surface appears clean, internal roots will continue to develop.
  • Caustic chlorine bleach is severely damaging to wood and many other surfaces. When bleach is put on wood, it weakens it by breaking down its fibres. This might lead to other issues with the home’s structural stability.
  • When bleach and ammonia combine, they produce a lethal gas
  • Remember, ammonia is present in urine. Using bleach in the toilet might potentially result in the production of a poisonous gas.
  • Bleach is a hazardous substance that is classed similarly to gasoline.
  • Chlorine, in its gaseous state (at room temperature), emits Dioxins, a recognised carcinogen.
  • Bleach is extremely damaging to the skin. A hydrolysis process occurs when exposed to naked skin. This indicates that the “oily” sensation is caused by the top layer of your skin dissolving!
  • Not only is bleach harmful to your health, but it will also exacerbate your mould problem in the long term.

A better and safer alternative to chlorine bleach:

Mould spores, whether dead or living, can still be allergic. In extreme circumstances, depending on the material, it may be necessary to replace it. Hard surfaces that have not been damaged by dampness can be saved and cleaned. In this case, we offer UltraMean-2, a non-toxic, non-chlorine, oxygen bleach-based detergent with the ability to penetrate and take out deeply buried (mould) roots. Always remember to take the essential steps to keep yourself safe. To avoid being exposed to hazardous mould spores that can make you sick and spread to other areas of the house, certain precautions must be followed. Safety equipment such as gloves, masks, and goggles are always suggested.

Following the cleaning and drying of the surface, it is critical to apply a mould preventive. This step should NOT be skipped! Mould can always reappear if it has already happened.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *